Friday, July 25, 2008

I need your help!

(I know this is an old photo, but I couldn't find any other ones of her crying.)
I'm having a huge dilema right now. Any input or advice would be very much appreciated! Mara has always been the most amazing little sleeper! I could not have asked for a better baby when it came to sleeping! She has recently started waking up every two hours. Not because she's hungry (I know this because when I make her a bottle she doesn't eat it), not because she's poopy, not because she's too hot..too cold, etc. She just wants to play! So at her four month well check on July 23rd I asked the Dr. about it. She told me that it's just become a habit, and that we have to break it. (P.S. I absoluely did not like this lady. She is my doctor's nurse practitioner and we had to see her. She would not listen to me, and acted like every question I had was upserd! Is that even how you spell it?) Anyways, she told me that we just need to let her cry it out. Don't pick her up, just keep trying to soothe her from the side. To go in at longer intervals, i.e. wait 5 minutes, then 10, then 15...and so on. Well, we've done it for two nights now, and I'm not dealing with it well. I sit and cry the whole time too! I just feel so terrible! What if she has problems later in life because I didn't help her when she was little? Sean thinks that is absolutely ridiculous. I know it probably is too, but in the middle of the night I just can't help it! But I know that she isn't getting the sleep she needs because she's so darn tired during the day since she has started this whole wake up every two hours thing. So I'm just wondering if any of you have gone through the same thing and what you did about it! Let me know!!

7 comments:

Stephanie Peay said...

I have heard from several of my friends that if you know she is not hungry, sleepy or sick you just have to let her cry it out. If you go into the room and pick her up she is getting the attention she wants, even if it is good or bad attention. Several of my friends did the cry out method and started with the five, ten and so on minutes. Some slept through the night a little faster than others. It is horrible to watch but in the end you will all be happy. Have you read any of the book "Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child" I am a freak but I swear by the book. There is also the method where you just let them cry it out and you don't go in, but I think she is too young for that. Good luck, I am not an expert buy we had to do this with the boys at one point.

Nate and Lana Hope said...

Hey! I hate it when they change their sleeping patterns, and sad to say, it'll happen again and again! My doctor says that every baby over 14 lbs. should be able to sleep through the night. The crying without a cause problem seems hard, but really there probably is a hidden reason, like teething or an ear ache. When my kids would do this I would be frustrated and couldn't let the scream either! Then a tiny tooth would show up and I would feel bad. And better at the same time because there was a reason! Anyway, just be comforted to know that no kindergarten kiddo still screams through the night, so you've only got 5 years, and then you'll probably have another one or two screamers! Ha ha! Keep smilin!

Monica said...

I have no advice, but I wanted to just let you know that I can tell you're a great mom just by reading your posts :) I also like the picture of you and Sean at the top of your blog. Such a cute little family!

Liz & Zac said...

I have no advise for you, but i went and asked my sister Amy, she has read the book sleep sense and swears by it. I remember when Emily was letting Halie cry herself to sleep and it was traumatizing to her. I don't blame you for wanting to comfort here, your her mommy! I hope it gets better soon!

Harris Family said...

You are such a cute mama! With Ty it's hit and miss still. Mostly he's sleeping through the night, but there are still those nights. Although he never did wake up to play so as far as that goes...no idea. :) Love ya though!

The Smith Fam said...

Addison has always slept through the night and when she starts to have a tough time sleep I know that something isn't right. It was usually an ear infection or teething. I would give her some Motrin right before bed to help relax her and easy any pain that she might be feeling. Cause babies can only tell you in the one way they know how, crying. I have also been told that the pain from earaches and teething gets worse when they lay down for naps and stuff. Letting them cry is the hardest thing. Sometimes I have to go in my room and turn off the baby monitor and wait ten minutes. I know that sounds terrible but I can't sit and listen to her cry. Use your motherly instincts and do what you think is best for Mara.

Ginay said...

The thing that helped me, when Jake started not sleeping very well was this. I had read somewhere that they need to assosiate sleeping with things, routine; Bath, bed at the same time every night, and anything else you want to do. I knew also when he took naps durring the day that if he slept past a certain time, he did not sleep very well. Because they get to a point where they really need a set routine. I also started to wing him off of his binkie durring the day, and only gave it to him at night. It did take a little bit but he sleeps great again. He loves when I go lay him down and he reaches for his bink.