Monday, March 30, 2009

Ok, I'm obsessed...

With clipping coupons! Yes you read that right. If you know me at all you KNOW that I absolutely loathe coupon clippers. They take forever at the checkouts, they always seem disorganized and air headed, they are never paying attention to their children because they're too busy comparing prices meanwhile their children are running all over the store making me trip over them, and they NEVER tip (when tipping is necessary). AH!!!! I remember when I worked at Sport Clips I SWORE I would NEVER be one of them.

Never say never, right? Well it's that time in my life where clipping coupons is necessary for survival. Well, not that bad...but it's just something I can do to help out a little. Especially with the "big move" coming up on the horizon. I can almost taste it...anyways, that's besides the point. My point is, I am now someone I used to hate.

Now that I'm in this position however I think I understand those annoying coupon clippers a little more. Not only am I trying to save our family money, but it is like an addiction. I see a coupon and my heart starts beating, "how much can I save this time?" And if I notice that a coupon is expired I almost cry because I feel like a basically just threw away money.

How did this obsession start, you ask? Well, I was standing behind the usual coupon clipper at the check out who had so many coupons she couldn't even keep them straight, she dropped a couple, her child was screaming, she had to run back for something else, and all the while I was annoyed out of my mind! How dare she waste my precious time?!? Then the moment of truth: checker "your total before coupons is $223.64 (ish), after coupons it comes to $67.89" ARE YOU JOKING ME? I about had a heart attack right then and there. How could this possibly be? She basically just stole from that store! As she left I starred after her with a new found respect for all you coupon clippers.

She is my hero.

Now, mind you, I plan to be organized and watch my child/children, I plan to keep on tipping, etc...but oh my goodness?!?! How can you NOT want to be like that woman?

6 comments:

andrew and brittani said...

I have a folder of coupons that I keep in my purse and my friends always laugh at me--but I save SOO much money. At Christmas I bought my sub-4-santa girl over $500 worth of stuff and only spent $52. And I bought it all at Macy's! There are coupons for everything, and people are dumb or just lazy if you don't use them.

Becky said...

I am so scared to get on that train. I have felt the same as you...on both sides. CRAZY peole use coupons...AND YET THEY SAVE SO MUCH!!! They also intimidate me so I'm still at the train station debating on which track to choose. Geeze...I really want to save money...but....

Thanks for blogging. I hope Mara's arm is healing well. She is such a doll!

Tiona said...

I want to start using coupons too. I really don't know where to start, though. But they do save so much money!

I hope Mara is doing okay. Keep us updated!

Andrea Migliaccio said...

Just yesterday I was complaining about waiting for forever in line behind a lady with an insane amount of coupons!
I actually use to do it too- my old neighbor & I we're addicted & looked forward to the grocery ads every single week but I got sick of it after so long.
I will try to find the local website that shows the best coupons & deals for the week in Ut. County... you will save a dramatic amount of $$$!
xOxOxO

Harris Family said...

AMEN! I am totally a coupon nerd. I carry my binder with me at all times. It's become quite the trend around here and so many people carry theirs around too that I don't feel dumb anymore.

I LOVE the birthday pictures! What a cute cake idea - you are so dang creative!

I seriously can't wait for Tyler and Mara to get married...then we will finally be related. :)

Liz & Zac said...

That is awesome, you may have just inspired me.