Normally being a part of .08% of the population would leave me feeling special, unique even....
I'll spare you the gruesome details, but I learned that I'm allergic to a certain medication. Lovely. How did I find this all out? Well it started about 2 weeks ago....
I went to a normal office visit, and left with a new prescription. Excited to try something new and see if it helped my depression more than the others I have tried so far. I was told it is fast acting so I would notice results within a week. Day 6 I thought to myself, "hey! I think this might just be the thing I'm looking for!" Day 7 I woke up with a lovely rash covering my head and chest. I just googled a picture for ya, but I think I won't include it. They're all pretty nasty.
So I called up my Doctor and he told me to stop taking the medication immediately and take some benadryl. I did as I was told and by that night my rash had gotten a lot worse, the back of my head and neck were swelling quite a bit, and I was having trouble breathing. So we took off to the InstaCare.
They swabbed me for strep just to make sure it wasn't that. When he came in with a negative strep test he started explaining things to me. I quote: "When a patient gets a rash while on this medication, we kind of freak out a little bit." "If it doesn't get better in the next couple of days or if it ever gets any worse, head straight to the E.R."
Hmm....kinda left me feeling a bit nervous. But he started me on a steroid, told me to see my doctor the next morning, and to stay doped up on Benadryl. The swelling in my head and neck were my lymph nodes protesting. It hurt. Now I'll actually feel sorry for people when they have rashes. I had no idea how much they HURT! Wowsa! My body was on fire!
I've just spent the last 4 out of 6 days flying high on "benny". I stopped taking it because I was getting better and BAM! The rash came back in a hurry. So I'm forced to take it once again...tell me, how can a mom function while under the influence of that stuff? Maybe I'm just a light weight, but I cannot keep my eyes open or my head in the game. I find myself starting sentences and never finishing them, falling asleep everywhere, and just plain being cranky!
As usual Sean has taken good care of all of us, but had to return to work tonight. We all miss him terribly. The kids probably the most because not only is daddy not home, but their mom has been replaced with a grouchy-sleepy-weirdo.
Maybe after this is all over and the last remaining splotches disappear I will feel unique. Until then, I'll stay mad. Although....now when I'm asked if I'm allergic to any medications instead of saying, "not that I know of." I can reply "Lamictal". That'll spruce things up during boring office visits!
5 comments:
Oh man! So sorry Brittani! That's miserable. And terrible that it was starting to work!
Oh I am sorry you had to go through that! I am the same way on benadryl. Love the Halloween costumes! I saw the mermaid one on pintrest love it! And wow you are one talented woman making those! You go girl! You also called me today I was wondering if that was just a bum dial?
I'm glad the Benadryl is helping; I'm sure it's crazy trying to function on that stuff!
Oh my goodness! Scary! Are you better now?
Oh man! I hope you're out of the woods of rash and swelling now. That's terrible! But at least now you know of an allergy and what to avoid.
Post a Comment